Go Fly A Kite!

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Up, Up and a.... kaBOOOM!

Okay, I admit it. I'm a bad girl. I've been leaving work early to go to Zuma and kite. I left work early again today at 3. SHHHhhhhhh!! The last 2 days that I ditched work to go to Zuma, I didn't feel comfortble going out on the board because it was either blowing too hard or I didn't know people that were riding there. Yesterday, however, was a different story.

When I arrived at Zuma, the wind was very light, maybe 8-10 mph. Not enough for me to get on the board. After my spectacular weekend in Mojave, I was determined to get out at Zuma and get on the board. At around 4:30, Kite Sheriff and J-Man arrived and started to suit up. YAY! I was relieved that someone that I knew came and that they were optimistic that the wind was going to kick up. woohoo! I suited up and started to get ready. And low and behold, the wind did kick up. Kite Sheriff and J-Man launched and rode out. J-Man was getting major air, by the way - the type of air where he was able to dangle his feet, look underneath, sing a song, and say hello to everyone on the beach. It must have been at least 20 feet. I hope I can do that soon. Some day, right? I launched my kite, grabbed my board (the Caution Redline board that I bought off of Ali) and walked up the beach toward the flag. I tried to get up on the board from the beach to ride out through the waves, but that didn't work too well. :-\ So I bodydragged out past the impact zone with my board in my hand. (Whoa! I remembered what Kitemaster T had told me about how to hold the board while bodydragging out, and I did exactly that. No problems getting out this time. Woohoo!) I put the board on my feet, and did a couple of test loops to get a feel for the wind. Then I dove the kite, and up on the board I went! FIRST TIME UP ON MY BOARD AT ZUMA, BABY! After about 10 seconds, I lost momentum, sank down in the water, and lost the board. :-\ I had a hard time getting back to my board though at Zuma. The combination of the wind and current made it drift way out to sea and J-Man had to go get the board for me each time. (I owe him 5 shots for these pick-ups). When I got to the lifeguard tower, I came in, did the walk of shame, and walked back up to the flag to do it again.

My third time out was my most significant board moment. I got up on the board and started going out to sea. I was thinking, "Keep the kite moving, keep the edge, lean back, etc... " - everything that Kitemaster T and V-Dawg has been telling me. And well, I started getting lit up. You know, the type of speed where the board starts to shake? I tried to keep my edge, lean back, and try to work the kite back up higher to slow down but well, it was inevitable. KaBOOM! I came off my board, did a 1080(?)(3 spins while hanging onto the bar) while flying through the air, and tumble crashed. After I came back up above the water (and burped :-P), I heard J-Man yell out "WHOW! That looked nice!." I admit that it was sorta fun while I was in the air, but I lost my board (again) and J-Man had to go get the board for me again. :-\ J-Man saw the whole thing - he saw me get lit up, saw the board shake, and saw the nose go down - which is what made me tumble crash. I will make note, keep nose up next time. Yes, Kitemaster T and V-Dawg has told me this more than once.

At the end of the day, Kite Sheriff said that he was proud of me. :-) Even though I had a major tumble crash, it was a good kite day... I can't wait til tomorrow to do it again. I hope the surf is small.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home