Go Fly A Kite!

Monday, April 11, 2005

I am shark bait!

Yesterday was my best day bodydragging. WOOHOO WOOHOO WOOHOO! Does that tell you how much fun it was? I arrived at Zuma at 1pm and waited for the wind to start picking up. The wind was stronger than I was used to for my kite - my kite was completely depowered but it still managed to pull me up off the ground while in the neutral zenith position! When the Monkey Air guys came out, however, I felt relieved. Kite Sheriff told me that they would keep an eye on me while I bodydragged if I wanted to try yesterday. Wes, who still had some stitches in his knee couldn't kite, so he helped me out yesterday. He gave me some tips on bodydragging, even dragged me up the beach, and suggested that I should just bodydrag in the water. I was hesitant because of the high winds and talk of shark activity in the spring since there was a great white siting last weekend at Zuma. But I went in anyways and am SO GLAD that I did. In the back of my mind, I was thinking, "I'm shark bait, I'm shark bait! I better go out fast and come back in!" It was my best kiting day ever. I was able to "tack my body like a sailboat". I never really understood this concept before, but I do now (or did yesterday). The wind was strong enough for me to bodydrag out with no problem, even get some air and play around, and tack myself in. Then the wind really kicked up - probably to about 25 miles per hour. So I landed my kite.

Ah... a great day of kiting. I had more fun kiting than surfing today. Everyone says that once I get on a board and start getting better at kiting, I'll probably ditch my surfboard and snowboard and not do anything else but kite - unless there's no winds, I guess. We'll see....

Off to Costa Rica tonight, so I'll be posting after Sunday night.

Peace out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home